Sunday, January 18, 2009

Welcome

Okay then, here's a blog for us to post our continuing thoughts brought up in the Senior Seminar. I continue to think about the direction this course is going to take and I'll push things off and toss out where I am and what I'm interested in but then I expect that you all will work to steer this in the direction that we collectively want it to go. So, the first book we have to read is Elgin's Considered Judgment. If you want a quick spin through epistemology, you may want to get the book that I've ordered for the Paths to Knowledge class called True to Life. We'll also, I expect, want to read Understanding Understanding. The task that I'm interested in is trying to figure out what understanding is (how it differs from knowledge, among other things) and then also how to cultivate this in others.

So. one article that I'd like for us to read is called "Beyond Understanding" and then I'm also intrigued by Korsgaard's The Constitution of Agency. I'm not sure it's related, but I think it may be. I've also ordered for the Paths class Tomasello's The Cultural Origins of Human Cognition which we may, or may not, want to read.

Anyway, here's the blog. I'm working on finding a day when we can meet and it looks like we're down to Tuesday or Wednesday. We may, if anyone has conflicts on these days, have to consider either 8am meetings or Sunday meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment